- Harry Potter series by J K Rowling - This series was one of the first that I ever read. I was so enamored with this series and it really showed me that outside of school reading can be fun!
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket - This series was one that also really helped me see that reading was fun as a kid
- Wicked Lovely Series by Melissa Marr - This series wasn't necessarily my first jump into Young Adult or anything, but it was the first series I really got into in a long time
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan - I wasn't really reading much, but this series, along with a few other books, helped me get back into reading when I was in a really bad place, and I've been reading a lot ever since. This one was the most prominent in pulling me back in to reading at that time, which is why I picked to list this one.
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Though I had read some contemporary novels before this, this book was really the one that got me to like them a lot more, and since then, while it's not too many, I've began reading more contemporary than I used to and tend to enjoy them all.
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - This book made me realize that I actually like books that take place a while back in time, whether it's paranormal or not. I used to not want to ever read historical fiction, but this book made me interested in that genre a lot more.
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - This book made me realize that I didn't have to dislike every book that school made me read. I used to hold unnecessary grudges against books I was forced to read, but with this book I was able to push through that grudge and actually enjoy it. Though I'm still usually hard on school books (classics really aren't my kind of thing. I appreciate them but I wouldn't read them on my own), I have learned to like them more than I did before.
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Top Ten Tuesday #4
April 1: Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey (so your list could be a mix of a books that got you into reading, an author that got you into reading a genre you never thought you'd read, a book that brought you BACK into read)