Sunday, March 9, 2014

Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
ebook, 328 pages
Published by Entangled Publishing on August 14, 2012
Rating: 5 stars

Summary (Goodreads): Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…


Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarre connection. I’ve sworn him off even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But against all common sense, I’m falling for him. Hard.

Our relationship issues aren’t out biggest problem…

The Department of Defense is here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we’re linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And when a new boy shows up a school with a secret of his own, things get complicated fast. I need to choose between my own instincts and Daemon’s.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. Daemon’s never going to stop searching until gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies.

**Note: This review may contain spoilers for Obsidian**

My Thoughts:
Wow. What a whirlwind of a ride this book took me on! I couldn't put it down. Of course, it seems that with all of Armentrout's books I'm that way, but even more so when it comes to the relationship between Daemon and Katy. 

The book starts out with Katy trying her best to resist her growing feelings for Daemon, and Daemon being Daemon, trying his best to get her to react to him in some way. It was nice to see a protagonist attempting to resist the allure of the male character in the story, but it also at times was somewhat annoying to me, mostly because I just wanted to push them into a room and tell them to just kiss each other already!

Not only is the relationship that isn't a relationship always a constant presence throughout the book, there's also a new character to bring tension to the novel. Blake Saunders is a new student at the local high school, and he is placed next to Katy in her Biology class. They hit it off instantly, becoming fast friends, and in Katy's mind, there's a possibility of there being more. I personally didn't care for Blake that much, I felt that the story didn't need the love triangle as the connection between Katy and Daemon along with their personalities was plenty to keep me sucked in. However, as the story progressed, I began to understand his presence more, and while he never grew on me, I partially blamed this on being a complete Daemon girl. 

Soon after the story begins, Katy gets extremely ill and ends up in the hospital for a few days. This part had me glued to the page, wondering how Katy was being affected by what was almost certainly an after affect of the healing from Daemon from the last book. I was on the edge of my chair, wondering what would happen and how things would change. I got my answer soon after. When Katy's back to normal, she starts to adopt powers - Luxen powers. They would be used at random intervals unintentionally, like opening her locker and attempting to get a glass of something to drink. The story progresses with us learning about what has happened to Katy and what it all means, giving us an even deeper insight into the world of the Luxen.

The whole story had me biting my nails, not sure who to trust or when something bad would happen. I was suspicious of everyone who wasn't Daemon, Dee, or Katy's mom, because those are the only people I felt Katy could trust completely with all the suspicion and other events occurring. Then, when I felt like I could finally trust more people again, my hope was squashed and another character revealed their true intentions. It was a very exciting read and one that I won't be forgetting soon. The only thing I have left to say is that I only hope the character that appears at the end of the novel isn't too different than what they were like before. 

★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment